8 January 2011

Day 13: Animals, planes and friends

Route taken: Rockbank-Werribee-Open Range Zoo-RAAF Museum-Melbourne
Distance covered: TBC

Tomorrow, that being Sunday, is the day on which I shall be setting off home. I have promised myself this. And I do mean it this time.

But, first, back to yesterday, Friday, day 13 of my scootering odyssey.

Setting off from Rockbank at a respectable 8:45ish, I headed towards the first stop of the day, the Open Range Zoo near Werribee. Shortly after departing I came upon a Serbian Orthodox Church in what, to me, seems like the middle of nowhere. Why? I have no idea. There is no obvious reason why a church for such a small denomination (in Australia) should exist where there are no obvious population centres.


But it does.

The Werribee Open Range Zoo is one of several such zoos in Australia. Free of traditional zoo cages and exhibits, they provide a normal natural environment for animals. Whilst not a patch on African safari experiences, they are nonetheless still vastly superior to traditional zoos.


And can provide unique sights, such as giraffes playing in water:


Leaving the zoo, I set sights on Melbourne once more.

A speed limit that even I can break

Whilst riding along, I came upon the Royal Australian Airforce (RAAF) Museum at the Point Cook base. Whilst not normally the type of facility that I'd have much interest in visiting, I chose to, on this occasion, stop for a visit.

Covering the history of the RAAF from the time it was a division in the Australian Army before the First World War to the present day, and all aspects from its battle history to the role of cook, it provided me with another perspective on life. One that I'd never normally consider. I have been fortunate to grow up in a country and a time that has not been engaged in any war large enough to require conscription and does not have national service. Just two more reasons that I have had such a fortunate life.

The most impressive aspect of the museum is its aeroplane collection - from the first training machines before the First World War through to technology retired twenty years ago:

An early training plane, name unknown

Maurice Farman Shorthorn

de Havilland Vampire T Mk 35, in my opinion, the sexiest fighter ever

Another aspect of the museum is its restoration facility. The current major project is to restore a de Havilland Mosquito PR Mk XVI, A52-600, apparently the only one of its kind in the world:


The project is likely to take up to another ten years until completion.

Setting off from Point Cook to Melbourne to catch up with a friend, I experienced the joys of riding into a hot headwind and the western suburbs. Taking far too long, I spent about an hour with my friend, before setting off to see another friend for the evening. Eating Indian, drinking beer and cider, it became the perfect end to the day, made even better with one of the bet sunsets I have ever seen:

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the daily reports on the return trip, mon Capitan. :)

    I was just thinking - and don't want to jinx you - that your outward journey had pretty good weather. I hope that you have the same on the way home.

    Regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the forecast for the remainder of the trip, Bruce, I think you have already jinxed me. Rain and possible storms.

    At least I have wet weather pants. And I'll get to find out if my new jacket is properly waterproof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing trip!
    How do you feel riding on the freeway?
    I am riding a 125cc in Melbourne but still not sure whether I should go to Werribee with it.
    I am gathering my courage to go to Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for your comments, Ben.

    I've been avoiding the freeway (other than for a short stint today which I'll post about soon).

    The highway is fine - I just watch my mirrors and move to the side whenever I'm about to be passed (assuming the shoulder is bitumen). With a 125, you ought to have no problem getting to Werribee. I didn't try the freeway but went the back way as I know that my 60km/h top speed isn't close to suitable.

    I've done Adelaide to Wilson's Promontory and almost back, so you ought to be fine for Sydney. What do you ride?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Captain Potato,

    I've been reading your interesting blog on a delayed telecast. It's compelling reading. But ...

    "no obvious reason why a church for such a small denomination (in Australia) should exist where there are no obvious population centres."

    (would have been quite chilling if you'd ended the sentence after the word 'exist', but) ...you've obviously never experienced being part of a vilified minority trying to retain your own culture.

    I'm sure these days the Serbians can build in the city, but back whenever it was probably nice for them to all have a place to get together where they weren't being leered/jeered at by C of E stalwarts (or whoever).

    You should ride your scooter (or something else maybe :P ) up to Cairns- there are some Sikh temples in smaller townships south of the main city. They definitely hit your vision with a "what?!".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kish, thanks for your comments, but you miss my point. It isn't that there's a Serbian church so from Serbia, but rather that, even now, with the size of Melbourne, there's almost nothing whatsoever around it. There's barely any housing nearby at all. There is the railway station, which may explain why it is where it is.

    It's just a surprise to come across such an impressive church in what is still (relatively) the middle of nowhere, when there is so much other land that is closer to Melbourne (which must be surely where the majority of the Serbian Orthodox community lives), let alone when the church was actually built.

    ReplyDelete