9 January 2011

Day 15: we're coming back

Route taken: Melbourne-Sunbury-Gisborne-Woodend-Daylesford
Distance covered: TBC

I am not ready to return home. There, I've said it. I don't want to return home. I have unfinished business in - and with - Melbourne, and I want to stay. But I cannot change the fact that I do have to go home, so I am not going to get upset about it. But I am nonetheless still not ready to go back to Adelaide.

Waking up around 11:30 and feeling decidedly worse for wear, a fantastic falafel roll from a shop in Coburg helped to get me moving, if not motivated to depart Melbourne. Saying our farewells at 13:30, I departed my friend's house and headed towards Sunbury, following the same path that I had taken a few days previously.


Rather than heading north from Sunbury as I had a few days ago, I continued westwards, crossing over the freeway and then turning north towards Gisborne.

Conveniently placed sign to point out Mount Macedon, which is obscured by cloud


I then travelled towards Woodend along the same road that I had ridden in the opposite direction. The thought of stopping for a beer was not on my list of things to do for the day, so I motored onwards.


With a complete lack of blue sky, I continued along the road towards Daylesford, scene of the 2010 Classic Scooter Rally. What little traffic I saw was mostly travelling in the opposite direction.


For much of the ride, I had a strong tailwind, so I made good progress along the winding roads.


Daylesford

Shortly after finding something to eat for dinner, the first proper rain that I have seen on my trip arrived. Whilst not strong, it is nonetheless a sign of what the forecast promises for the remainder of my travels: rain, showers and maybe even storms. It makes no difference which way I return to Adelaide - rain is forecast in all districts through which I may ride.

I have yet to decide in which direction I shall head tomorrow morning. Due to the large number of cockatoos at the campsite I am staying at, I shall inevitably be awake early. I'm likely to be reaching Adelaide on Thursday, regardless of the direction I take - unless I were to push hard to get home quickly. After such a meandering, relaxing series of rides so far, I have no intention of changing the manner in which I have been travelling.

2 comments:

  1. Captain, I'm sorry to read that you've run into dismal weather.
    Perhaps its in sympathy with your mood about having to return home.

    Ride carefully.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly fits, Bruce. Well, maybe not what I had this morning, but the general feeling does...

    ReplyDelete