14 January 2011

Postscript 1: panoramas - part 1

I've been back a few days now, catching up on things and keeping myself busy with something I'll be blogging about in the next few days that I think you shall like. This is the first of the posts that I promised to write after my return - about things that I didn't have time or opportunity to blog about whilst on the road.

Nice as it was to have a small netbook (an Asus eeePC 701SD, a 7" netbook) with which keep myself connected, it wasn't perfect for everything. Such as editing panorama photography. My camera, a $300 (two years ago) Kodak Z1015 IS - in other words, hardly a top end camera - has a nice feature that allows up to three photos to be stitched together to allow for some wide angle photography.

It's fiddly and the results aren't always perfect (and in my hands, are often abysmal), but occasionally it does come up with some nice imagery. Even when the stitching isn't perfect, the images do give a better impression of views that standards photos cannot.

Here are a few panorama shots from the first five days of my adventure (click on them for larger versions - just in case you didn't pick that up with every other photo I've uploaded until now):

Day 1: Lake Alexandrina, a few kilometres before the ferry crossing at Narrung

Day 2: Coorong National Park, near Meningie

Day 2: fields on the way to Kingston, S.E.

Day 2: fields on the southern outskirts of Robe

Day 3: looking westwards, down the hill on the way to Glencoe, having just turned off the main road between Beachport and Mount Gambier

Day 3: Mount Gambier

 Day 4: looking back towards Portland

Day 5: Great Ocean Road, on the way to Childer's Cove

Day 5: Great Ocean Road, Bay of Islands

 Day 5: Great Ocean Road, near the Grotto

Day 5: Great Ocean Road,  near Princetown

 Day 5: Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay on the horizon

5 comments:

  1. Mt. Gambier and the ocean shots - especailly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pix, Captain.
    The diverse topography and foliage is what sets this route apart from many others.

    Great stuff.....keep 'em coming! :)
    (Just think how nice they'd look as 8 x 10 glossies in a book!)

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics, Cap'n. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. Will be continuing to post. I don't plan on racing through them, as I am busy writing things *hint*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice panoramas Anthony - keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete