31 December 2010

Day 6: And I thought the cold was bad...

Route: Apollo Bay-Lorne-Torquay-Geelong-Ocean Grove
Distance covered: 150km (approx.)

As is becoming a daily occurrence, my early start plans never quite make it, inevitably because I end up talking with fellow campers. So it was again today - not that I am complaining. Far from it. I appreciate the interest that people are taking in my travels.

Having spoken to the chap camped next to me with his daughter, just as I was about to ride off, another man walked by, who, after asking the usual questions about what I was riding and where I was going, then proceeded to tell me how "you'll get your life back with what you're doing," and how it "is an initiation rite and e all ought to do it. And you'll get your life back." He concluded by telling me that "you're the lad!" Feeling invigorated by such a warm reception, I set off for the day.

Until late morning, the weather was pleasant - almost cool at one point. I immediately undertook the steepest climb of the trip so far - to Mariner's Lookout, near Apollo Bay. Steep as it was, the view was spectacular:


The stretch of the Great Ocean Road between Apollo Bay and Lorne is arguably the best motorcycling stretch of the entire road. Magnificent, sweeping corners, gradient (but not too much!), all alongside the ocean, cut into the side of the cliff. Magnificent. Rather than trying to describe it, I'll let the photos do the talking for me - the brown line in some of the photos is the cutting for the road:







I passed straight through Lorne, stopping only to take a photo from the northern side of it. Too many tourists, too many swimsuits for me on a day like today. I needed to make progress before it warmed too much.

As the day started to warm horrendously, living up to the forecast 40 degrees Celcius, I stopped off to walk out to the Split Point Lighthouse, before refueling both scooter and rider.


From this point onwards, the day took on a very different feel. A blistering northwesterly wind made progress slow and stupidly hot. I was suffering, not being able to escape the blazing sun and very strong scorching wind. By the time I reached Torquay, I was exhausted. Despite the weather, the beach was crowded by people wishing themselves a case of skin cancer:



The last stretch of the Great Ocean Road peters out into the highway to Geelong - hardly a fun stretch for a 50cc scooter, but even less so on a day like today. Heavy traffic, even stronger headwinds, even hotter. Not fun.


Having made the requisite purchase of two stroke oil, I then set forth for Queenscliff, or at least, a place along the way to camp for the night. Due to the popularity of the area, any site I could get ould be a bonus. As it turned out, the first site had an 'emergency' spot for only $50 (I paid $15 in Meningie on the first night...). Either way, not wanting to risk finding nothing else, I chose to stay, seeing that it was already 14:30 and that I was completely buggered.


Pitching the tent, a shower, a round of washing and a meal in the first restaurant since I left later, I've settled in for what promises to be a noisy night, seeing that it is New Year's Eve.

This marks the end of the first stage of my epic - I've completed the Great Ocean Road, and set off for Wilson's Promontory tomorrow morning. The forecast is for much colder weather once more, perhaps with rain. I hope to make decent ground tomorrow so that I can reach Melbourne by 4 January at the latest.

I've had a long, at times trying, year, and undertaking this road trip has been a fantastic way to put it all behind me - and I've only been gone six days. It's been an amazing experience to date. I've seen so much (only a portion of which has made it into this blog so far), had ample opportunity to think and to clear my head, and met some interesting people along the way. Sitting here, blogging on New Year's Eve, reflecting on the year that was, is exactly what I need to clear my head in preparation for a much better 2011.

So, on this note, I wish you a happy and successful 2011. See you again tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Well done! Hope the other campers aren't too noisy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's just say it's a shame that the cool change should have come in a few hours' time so people didn't suddenly regain energy. The fireworks have already started...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!
    Your photos are excellent and - as you mentioned, a picture paints a thousand words. The GOR really does live up to its name along that stretch.

    How do you get to Wilsons Prom.....ferry across to Sorrento, I presume?

    All the best for tomorrow and, whilst we here in Canberra swelter, I hope that change comes through for you.

    Happy New Year, mon Capitan! :-)

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaaa!
    I just realised.......there IS a face behind that helmet visor!!!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captain, I was just driving to the shops and this came on the (classic hits) radio I listen to.
    I immediately thought of your adventure.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjN3t8cj74

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruce, yes, got the ferry to Sorrento today. Wilson's Prom tomorrow.

    Thanks for the song - waiting for it to load via dodgy 3G connection at the moment.

    I do try to hide most of the time from cameras, but even the self portraits are coming out okay, so maybe the trip has relaxed me so much that I don't even look as shocking as usual in photos...

    ReplyDelete