7 December 2010

Scooter servicing.

One item in preparation was crossed off the list today: getting the scooter serviced.

Actually, that's not quite true - I took it in to be serviced five days ago, but having been assured that it would be ready the following day on a daily basis, it actually was ready today.

Shame I wasn't ready for the bill with which I would be faced: $692.35. It would have been nice if the dealer that shall remain nameless had chosen to be honest with me about the cost I would likely be facing. The little detail of the $350 service fee had been conspicuously absent until today (and was well over double what I had ever previously paid for a service). Was not impressed, especially given the runaround I had been given about when the scooter would be ready for collection.

To be fair, the scooter is running far better than it has for some time - perhaps even better than when it was new - but that's not the point. A little honesty about the likely cost upfront would have been appreciated.

For $692.35 worth of service and replacement components, I had bloody better not have any mechanical issues with riding across southeastern Australia...

5 comments:

  1. That dealer missed out on the chance to do a bit of promotion and marketing.
    Anyone with a bit of nous could have offered you a reduction of the bill in return for promoting their business: mention & link on your blog and some stickers on your scooter.
    Then, if the trip was uneventful from a reliability point, refund the balance on your return to Adelaide or offer a couple of regular services at reduced price.....either on your new scooter or the littly.

    Sometimes I wonder how some business continue to exist, let alone grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, would have been insightful on their part. Don't think they could quite get their heads around the fact that I was undertaking the ride on a 50cc.

    Even the (big) mention of a new scooter purchase looming didn't prompt a little customer service on their part. At least I know where not to purchase again in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Captain!

    Good luck with your marathon trip. For me, whizzing along on a little bike is fantastic. Much more fun than on a big machine, as you've nothing to prove and you'll have time to take in the scenery as you go along.

    I've done a couple of longish trips across England on my ancient 1959 moped - 140 miles over two days, with an overnight stop halfway to re-tighten the nuts and bolts!

    What size of scoot are you moving up to when you return? I've recently bought a lovely 7-year-old Sym Joyride (a Bolwell Legrande in Australia). It's 171cc, and I'll be scooter camping on in Belgium at Easter with pals who've all got big 'proper' motorcycles. They just don't get little bikes!

    Anyway, have fun and keep safe on your voyage to Melbourne and back. I'll watch your progress with interesting.

    No speeding!

    Best wishes,

    Johnny, North-West England

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Johnny,

    Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. There aren't many challenges left in the world that one can undertake whilst travelling, which most people seem to forget, and racing around isn't all there is to life.

    Scootering across Europe would be brilliant - it's something I'd like to do one day, if I get the chance. Take a few months, take in the sights, stop regularly, experience the locals and their worlds. Not race across the continent.

    I'm going to be getting an LML Star 2 (the 150cc version as that's the only one available in Australia), which I hope to be ordering very soon. It may well arrive before I depart for Melbourne, but it won't be accompanying me on this trip. I'm already thinking ahead to a bigger ride later next year.

    Again, thanks for your kind words - it's nice to hear that people are taking an interest.

    Anthony (fixed my profile name too - 'The Language Hammer' was me as well).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see someone getting out and doing a good long ride on a smaller scooter. Thumbs up from me! :-) I'll be following your adventures with interest.

    ReplyDelete