12 December 2010

Tents and test runs.

As the weather was decent today, I thought it prudent to set the tent up in the garden to:
  1. Make certain that it is complete and not missing any pieces;
  2. To minimise the risk of embarrassment the first time I do so in public.
Having confirmed that all pieces are present, and having only bent one tent peg, I can confirm that the risk of embarrassment isn't completely gone. Especially if it's raining or windy.

Anyway, this is how it looks:
 Not exactly well built at this stage...

It certainly would not take a family of twelve...

The door opens to reveal...

That I can even lie flat in it (just) - and how
badly-assembled it was on the first attempt.

It also only took two attempts to get the tent back into the bag. Sort of.

I also had a quick test pack of the large items that I already have to see how well they will fit into the storage space available. No photos, but limited as the space is, I mightn't need too much extra. Well, that's the theory.

I also had a look yesterday to see what other storage options I could add to the scooter, just in case. This was inspired by Chris's photo of his preparation for his upcoming ride from Newcastle to Sydney, via Darwin, Adelaide and Melbourne, which caused me to question exactly what I'd forgotten to consider taking.

I found an excellent waterproof gas mask bag that, in conjunction with a matching bag, would make an excellent set of (small) panniers. There was, unfortunately, only one bag available.

Either way, given the lack of engine power available, I need to pack as lightly as possible, so I may well be better off without having the extra storage space available to fill with more luggage.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment