21 December 2010

The test pack.

In the last few days I haven't been (completely) idle with my preparations. I can barely afford to be idle - my departure is only five days away.

Of the most notable achievements, I have now purchased most of the items on my to-purchase list.

As a consequence, last night I thought it appropriate to try a test pack. Not least because if there is a problem that I am going to encounter in the preparations that will be difficult to overcome, it will be discovering that I do not have enough storage space for the items that I need to take with me.

So I chose to undertake a test packing, just in case alternate storage was needed.

And this is how the first test pack went:


Success! Everything pretty much fitted, as hoped for. Important to mention is that I wasn't particularly careful with how I placed items (especially in the under-seat storage area), so with a bit of effort I am sure that I could make more space.

Lying on the ground to the right are a couple of items that won't be going in the storage space that I have - the hydration pack, notebook and backpack. That is, the rucksack ought to ideally go in storage, but there is no space for it. Okay, not a complete success with fitting everything in... The only other concession I have had to make is only taking four days' worth of clothing (I had hoped for five, but the top box isn't quite large enough).

I really don't want to have to wear the rucksack - particularly as the primary purpose of taking with me is to put my jacket in it whenever I am sightseeing/away from my scooter (due to the size of the back armour, there's no hope of the jacket fitting under the seat and I don't want to wear it if it's warm). I'll already be wearing the hydration pack (with up to 3 litres of liquid) and my camera, so I don't want the additional weight. It would also hide the reflective strips on my back.

Looking at the straps on the backpack, I came up with a better solution - strapping it to the top box. With the various clips, buckets and straps, it is possible to attach it securely so that it can remain on the scooter at speed(!), plus has the added advantage of allowing me to access items that I may need whilst riding without having to look in the storage areas. It also gives me a little extra storage space, should I happen to need it.


My top speed unlikely to be an issue and providing I keep an eye on it initially to ensure that it is securely mounted (or test it before I leave, time permitting), there should be no problem. Of course, were it to rain, the backpack will get wet pretty quickly, so I may need to investigate a cover for it.

At some point I'll get around to posting a full list of what I am taking with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment