10 December 2010

Questions and first purchases.

In addition to this blog, I've been also posting about my plans on Scooter Community, where I've been active (on and off) for a couple of years. In addition to the messages of support and encouragement, there have been a couple of people asking the serious questions about how I plan to cover the journey.
Quantumcat's recent post asks some pertinent questions that cover some of the main points of interest about how I plan to tackle the ride (with my responses in italics).
Will you be taking a tent, food, supplies etc. and camping? Or staying in hostels/hotels?
I have a tent and sleeping bag, so will be camping, but I'll be getting food as I go. The only supplies that I plan to carry will be enough water and some emergency food (dried fruit, mainly).
Do you have a satellite phone in case you get in trouble and there's no mobile reception?
Er, stand on the side of the road and wait for assistance? Seriously though, I'm not planning to go anywhere where I'd be stuck for hours without a single car going by.
How do you plan to carry all your stuff? Do you have especially large saddlebags?
Top box and under the seat, with a 5L jerrycan between my feet. Whilst riding, a couple of things (such as the tent) will be strapped on, but when I stop to do something, my small rucksack will come out from under the seat and will be taken with me, and the things strapped on will go under the seat. I'm not taking a lot with me, and I'll be doing washing pretty often.
I have always dreamed of doing a similar thing, except horseback not scooter. I imagine the process will be similar - the scooter will need constant attention and being able to carry enough stuff will be a problem!
Very similar, although I hope that the average horse needs far more attention than I hope my scooter will ;)

The trick's going to be to travel as lightly as possible. Having now looked at my planned route, I won't ever be too far from a town, and as I'm not planning on covering massive distances each day, then I'm hoping that I'll be able to find somewhere to eat without issue. My dietary habits will make it tougher (I'm basically vegan), that's part of the adventure. Providing I get through the first couple of days without food-related issues, I'll be fine after that, as not only will I be going through larger towns, but the public holidays will be over.

On a related note, I purchased a tent and sleeping bag today. If the weather holds, I'll be setting the tent up this weekend to see how it works and whether I can get it back into the carry bag easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment